Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Revision

(Our discussion continued.)

I must apologize I could not show you the full original version of that email. (I have nothing to copy-and-paste, and, contrary to what many of you believe, I do not have the gift of remembering something after reading it once.)

To cut the long story short, the message was simple: Shortly before the examination, my friend arranged a revision lecture for the medical students. However, rather than giving a general review of the whole subject or picking up a few important topics for pragmatic discussion, a considerable proportion of the lecture was delivered by an invited speaker of a voluntary organization with a religion background. Some promotion activity was also involved.

I must say the practice is really borderline. But, instead, I asked slowly, "I see. What happened next?"

"As you may find from the email, it is directed to the Dean and a few other important persons of the faculty," LP said, "HK - one of the associate deans - called me and I told him what happened. In essence, the invited speaker was not meant for promotion of anything, and, whoever wrote the complaint was unlikely to be present in the lecture - because he got some of the simple facts wrong. HK concluded that he would not investigate further on anonymous complaint like this one. After all, revision lectures are outside the formal syllabus and are attended merely on a voluntary basis. There is no rule that governs their content or quality."

"In that case, the complaint is settled," I nodded, "What am I here to contribute?"

No comments: