Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Drought

While I was thinking about the story of Lord Mengchang (孟嘗君), I met my friend L again.

"Szeto, have you heard of the recent story in North Korea?" He asked.

"You mean the missile business? Yes, part of it."

"No, I mean the new round of famine."

"Another round? I suppose there's only one famine in North Korea since the 1950s - and it continues till now." I chuckled, "Oh, I should not make joke on a miserable people. What's that all about?"


"Oh, nothing. Just that their Supreme Leader Mr. Kim III declares, once again, that they have another bad drought - one that you see once every 50 years - again, and he demands people around the world to support and make donations."

"Very well said - by using the word demand." I almost laughed, and asked my cynical friend, "What do you make out of that?"

No comments: