Thursday, April 25, 2013

Successor


(The discussion between A and I went on.)

I paused for a while and continued, "You know, JW has high hope on H."

"Yes, I can see that."

"And it's not just H. JW also expects high - and demands high - on other trainees in his team." I said, "I am sure my friend would like to see in 15 or 20 years time H will become another JW, and someone else become VW and others. Alas, that's the ultimate goal of any great teacher - to see someone as good as, or even better than, himself to follow his footsteps, thrive and grow strong and becomes another good teacher to inspire more students of the next generation. Remind you, a bright student may not have - and does not need - a famous teacher, but a really brilliant teacher always have many prominent students."

The two of us lapsed again into silence.

No comments: