Saturday, October 12, 2013

Poverty

(To my specific audience.)

Second, poverty is not a sin. We cannot choose where we come from, but we can determine what we become.

I remember very well how my parents counted every penny to pass the days when I was a kid, and I am always thankful to Sir Murray MacLehose, who set up a system so that I did not have to pay any school fee for my primary and secondary education. University tuition fee in my days was trivial (HK$3600 for a whole year when I was admitted to the medical school, which gradually rose to HK$9600 when I graduated), and I was fortunate enough to forget about any part time job because I could earn a living from scholarship.

In fact, one of the jokes that my classmates made on me in those days was: We come here to study, but you come for a living.

And, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Kevin Hsu (許開文), who set up the scholarship and nurtured me.

No comments: