Thursday, October 3, 2013

Schweinehaxe

Vivian and I dined at Table 18 Bar & Restaurant on my birthday.

It is a restaurant at Kwun Tong that serves multinational cuisine with a touch of German flavor. I suppose that's a compromise between character and marketing.

My wife ordered a mushroom soup - I didn't try and would not make any comment. (The favorite dish of Vivian is tree peony, and I shall not mention what she thinks.)

We shared a small dish of fried clam as our appetizer. Alas... wine, herbs, and tomato sauce; a tasty treat - this is the best you could get from frozen shellfish.

Vivian had an 8 oz rib eye steak, grilled to medium rare, as her main course. Again, I did not try. But, looking at the char marks on the surface and dark-pink flesh inside, the chef does have a good grip on the grill.

The main dish of mine was schweinehaxe - roasted pork knuckle in the traditional Bavarian style, served with sauerkraut and French fries. Since I never fancy sour cabbage, I decided to have a glass of lemon squash to help neutralizing the fat. (Schweinehaxe is a dish of obsession of mine, reasons yet to be defined by psychoanalyst.)

How do I think of the knuckle?

Easy answer: I shall come again - there is no need to go to Murray House at Stanley Bay any further.

No comments: