Sunday, October 27, 2013

TV

The hottest news headline on our morning paper is certainly the scandal related to the approval of new TV licence.

I must say the black and white of the case is rather obvious, and I have all my sympathy to a true entrepreneur. Nonetheless, if I were Mr. Wong, I would back off - at least for the time being. As a form of entertainment, we have so many options nowadays; as a business, television is a shrinking pie in the red ocean. Competition for advertisement is fierce and, in this part of the world, depends very much on human factors. What good is their to win an argument (or a judicial review) but lose the customers? True, cutting loss doesn't look good, but one should not fall into the psychological temptation of taking more risk and denying a settlement. 

(Alas, for the last bit, I must admit I am reading Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow at this moment.)

Remember: It may be painful for Douglas MacArthur to escape from the Philippines in 1942, but that's all for a later glorious return.

And, my dear Mr. Wong, don't hold the romantic idea that all your supporters outside the Central Government Office would become audience of your TV channel (if it does materialize) - many of them will certainly spend their time on playing games on their mobile phone or watching YouTube.

No comments: