Monday, November 10, 2014

Necessary

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against pursuing democracy. (Not by the argument that I put up yesterday, to say the least.) What I am trying to get at is our city has a complex disease, or, more likely, several co-existing diseases, and democracy per se is not a sufficient condition to save the place.

The question is, therefore: Is democracy a necessary condition?

I must say I am not sure, and shall leave it to your decision.

(If you have no idea about the difference between sufficient and necessary conditions, go read Lee Tin Ming.)

**************************
Along this line, an argument against democracy that is recently put up by some famous Leung is this:

If our society makes decisions by simply democracy, we will have all policies favouring the poor people.

That sounds perfectly logically.

However, like many other logical theories, it has very little to do with reality.

Let me explain tomorrow.

No comments: