Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Art

I must say I am not sure.

I look up the Wikipedia. Here is what I get: Art is a diverse range of human activities and the products of those activities. It is created through imaginative or technical skill, serving as a channel for the expression and communication of emotion or other values. I would add the activity should trigger our neuron and bring along some pleasant and enjoyable feelings.

It is slightly beyond the point to discuss whether the gigantic yellow duck is a kind of art. (My biased view is it is, although not a very brilliant one.) But, one thing is obvious: Not all human activities are artistic. For example, yelling a series of four-letter words is different from rap music, and doing press-up in a shopping mall while wearing nothing but only the best underwear from god is not a kind of behavioral art. We don't like this kind of activities because they are not artistic - not because we are not receptive.

Sounds simple, eh?

How about we attitude to different cultures?

No comments: