Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bookstore

Shortly after the international conference, I had an one-day trip to another part of the crooked universe to give a talk.

The flight was unexpectedly smooth, and the place was pleasant. I arrived late in the evening, had a good sleep after a quick shower, get up at six next morning and had a short walk (my room was close to a lake), gave a presentation at eight, had a meeting with a biotech company to discuss some collaborative work at ten, and left for the airport by eleven in the morning. And, I could even use the spare time in-between to make the slide for my next medical grand round.

My flight was scheduled at two in the afternoon, and there was one-and-a-half hour of spare time for me. Yes, I brought a novel with me, but I decided to pay a short visit to a small bookstore next to my departing gate.

There were no more than a handful of people inside. After touching here and there for some time, I picked two paperbacks to the cashier.

No one was there.

(To be continued.)

No comments: