Monday, June 3, 2013

Value


(The discussion between Vivian and I continued.)

"There are whole lot of things that you could learn," I explained while trying to do away with the consideration of opportunistic cost, "For example, rather than playing piano or violin, I began studying the stock market since Form 4."

"Oh, but I suppose that's certainly not a practical subject for you at that time?"

"Certainly not. I had neither the money nor the means to trade in the stock market. Remind you, that was the time before Internet and electronic banking."

"In that case, what's the use of studying all the financial news and stock prices?"

"The philosophical answer is, although men are political beings, all human activities are economic ones. Financial news tell us what's going on around this planet." I explained, "My personal view is, most of the things that we learn, being it from the school or elsewhere, are not needed for our usage. All we achieve is to have a vague idea on the subject, so that we will not be easily taken in by crooks - or experts!"

1 comment:

JW said...

I think the fundamental difference is: Intellectual curiosity is better nurtured by self-motivated learning rather than parent-driven classes.