Saturday, June 8, 2013

Salesman

Met LS and a few other friends of mine during lunch.

"Szeto, are you going to the salesman's briefing tomorrow?" The professor of rheumatology asked.

"What...?" My response showed clearly that I was not going - actually I had no idea what she was talking about.

"I mean the briefing session for interview board members. You know, we are about to interview the next round of applicants of our faculty."

"I see. After all, I am never involved in selecting new medical students." I smiled, "But I find your description remarkable. Why on earth do you call it a salesman's briefing?"

"Because it is! You know, the real task of the interview board nowadays is not to select creme de la creme from a group of excellent applicants but to show off how good we are, so that good secondary school students would make up their mind and be recruited into our faculty - rather than taking up offers from the business school or other side of the harbour!"

I must say I was not amused.

No comments: