Saturday, June 1, 2013

不學無術

My recent leisure reading is Manabanai Tantei-Tachi No Gakuen (不學無術的偵探學園) by Tokuya Higashigawa (東川篤哉).

I must say I am not impressed by the story. Nonetheless, the underlying plot does bring me back to much sweet memory on my secondary school days. In short, this novel of Higashigawa is about three teenagers who form a crime-fiction club and try to act as detectives as their extra-curricular activity.

And, many of us just do the same! Did I pay any attention in my secondary school study? Yes, some - no more than two hours a day even before my school certificate examination. I spent much of the time playing chess, learning astrology, and reading absolutely irrelevant books.

Of course, none of the things that I learnt from my private study has any pragmatic use - but neither does any subject that I was taught in the school. Well, they may serve the purpose of training up our brain so that it could learn more serious and useful things in our later days.

Or, as a famous professor from the other side of the harbour says: No knowledge is useless.

No comments: