Saturday, August 17, 2013

Meeting

I am recently on leave to take care of my children. My housemaid is away and my mum is recovering from a surgery. Although housework is no more simple than my clinical duty, I have the pleasure of not attending many meetings.

Many of you may know I have a hereditary phobia of meeting. To be exact, I am not against meeting in its original sense - or its original purposes, which are:
  • discussion
  • decision
  • dissemination of information
Unfortunately, many meetings are hold for very different reasons:
  • declaration of power and ownership (by calling a meeting of a good many people, the chairperson shows to everyone that he or she is in power)
  • illusion of responsibility (when the decision of a single person - usually the chairperson - is passed by a meeting, it becomes everyone's responsibility in case anything goes wrong)
  • peer pressure (when the chairperson cannot convince a single key person on the decision, a easy way to get around the hurdle is calling a big meeting so that a whole lot of unrelated and poorly informed persons agree to the decision)
The sobering truth is, partly for that very last purpose, we are often called to attend meaningless meetings.

No comments: