Thursday, August 15, 2013

Purpose

The army general remained mute for an eternity - he was lost in his own thought. Although he did not want to hurt the friendship with his classmate, he decided it was necessary to say something more:

"Sir, you make a point. I must say what you mentioned is the first reason that came to my mind when I heard of your Program, but it is not the only - and not even the most important - reason for my hesitation."

"So, what else?"

"It is the subconscious demeaning of the value of the Navy."

"How do you come up with that idea!?" The principal was, by now, absolutely irritated.

"My dear friend, in my humble and probably biased opinion, the primary purpose of the Naval Academy is to train up people to defend our coast and secure the peace of the water-world. Yes, a few of them may end up as administrators and settle in the Pentagon or the Capitol - but they are the minority."

"I agree with your point so far, but it is exactly for that reason we want our best graduates to take up these important posts."

No comments: