Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mike

I finally took my two princesses to watch Monsters University.

I knew the plot well in advance from several sources, and was slightly skeptical to begin with. The original Monster Inc was so impressive that I used to have high hope on the sequel (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.hk/2011/05/m2.html). Unfortunately, the movie is meant for kids and there is no hidden message this time as far as I could see.

But, it does not mean that the film is totally devoid of dark humour. All through that two hours in the cinema, I kept thinking how Mike feels when he comes to realize what company he is working for and what dream he has been so passionate about ever since he was a child. Unlike Sulley, Mike has no familial advantage but is a frantic supporter of the company. If he does not find out the truth, he will continue to be one of those we find in the crowd, waving a small red book under the poisonous sun. He is born to be used and then discarded by Mr. Waternoose.

Or, if he does find out, he is the one to be expired in an exceptionally long May.

No comments: