Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Birthday

Recently, Vivian and I were invited to the birthday party of a renowned senior physician.

The obvious difficulty to us was: What present should we prepare? Our godfather is certainly very well off and has everything he needs.

Fortunately, to save our trouble, our host asked us to forget about any birthday gift but, rather, make a small donation to support medical research.

Of course I duly followed.

Nonetheless, my wife found a CD collection of all hit songs in 1932 - the year when our host was born. I considered it an excellent idea - and it was not at all expensive. We add a birthday card on the top of the CD.

Here is what I wrote in the birthday card:

重闈顯吉曜兮箕福九疇,
鶴籌頻添算兮奉藥一丸。

PS. For those who could understand traditional Chinese, I do not hallucinate myself to be the fairy guest who presented the long-living pill as the gift. If anything, I would have to be Jizi (箕子).

No comments: