Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Office


(My discussion with J continued.)

“There are actually two folds of the problem,” my friend explained, “Of course we need to save sufficient sum money. But I consider it less critical a problem – after all, it doesn’t cost that much to satisfy our basic needs. The real challenge is, as I far as I could see, how we spend that 20 or, fortunately or unfortunately, even 30 years of retired life. It doesn’t take that long to finish with a PhD.”

“I shall spread it out and do a part-time one,” I murmured, “So, what is your approach?”

“I think I need an office – as an address for correspondence and a place to kill time, probably by seeing a few patients. Since renting an office means a continuous outflow of cash, I shall buy an office in the near future – before the price becomes unaffordable. Are you interested in going for the same direction?”

“I understand your argument, but, oh, no, thank you. I believe I have seen quite enough patients in my life and I shall not see more by the time I am sixty.” I smiled. After all, besides medicine, there are a whole lot of possible things to do – and, to me, a whole lot of worthwhile books to read.

Happiness is not only could be simple; it should be simple.

1 comment:

TW said...

Szeto I totally agree with you. There are loads of meaningful thing to do and how much we have missed and sacraficed in the past decades of studying and practising? Eg I still haven't learned to cook properly!