Monday, August 6, 2012

Dream


Shortly after the family gathering, I had the rare privilege of lunching with my friend J.

Our discussion, as you would expect, was around the plan of retirement.

“Szeto, do you still have a dream of teaching our pre-clinical students physiology after you retired?” J asked.

“Well, yes, or anatomy,” I nodded – I suppose my dream is quite well known.

“In my opinion, you shouldn’t really put too much hope on the university – or the government – to secure a retirement plan of that kind,” my friend looked serious, “Yes, your plan is noble, but, you know, the faculty may not need your service.”

Following the recent farewell party of EL, I knew exactly what my friend meant. “Thank goodness my scope of interest is wide. Maybe I should really do a part-time PhD on history.” I made a bitter smile – and then strike back, “What are you going to do?”

No comments: