Sunday, August 26, 2012

Calibri


The more pressing reason for my change is, we are becoming more virtual and electronic than ever. Fewer documents are really printed on paper, while most are read on screen. Contrary to the former, reading sentences from computer screen or LCD projector is a different task for the eyeball. There is good experimental evidence showing that sans-serifs type (sans mean without in French) of fonts are more soothing to be read on the screen and have superior clarity than their serifs counterparts. This is at least in part because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs.

(For this reason I actually changed to Arial some years ago for my PowerPoint slides.)


I end up using Calibri 11 as the default font of my Microsoft Words.

Once again, my choice is rather natural. Calibri is a variant of the sans-serif group. It is suitable for electronic reading and appears less boring than the standard Gothic or Arial. 

No comments: