Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Clinical


(Our discussion continued.)

“Alas, may I ask how are you – I mean the Dean – going to assess the performance of these clinical professors and decide who could be promoted?” I asked, “By definition, the quality of patient care or teaching could not be quantified.”

“We certainly need to work that out, but it is not a major issue,” KL appeared confident, “After all, by patient care, I mean the care for private patients. Look here. If clinical professors are supported by their own private patient income, then the faculty does not have to worry about government budget cut,  our clinical professors could spare their effort in writing grant applications, and, actually, their income would speak for themselves who are more successful and should be promoted!”

“It all sounds great. But, if a senior doctor could have a decent income by spending, say, 70% of their time in private practice, while leaving 30% for teaching, why shouldn’t they join the private market altogether in order to earn more?” I was puzzled.

“That’s silly. We – I mean the faculty – give them the title! Money is not the only thing that people are after,” my friend smiled.

No comments: