Monday, June 23, 2014

Choose

All three girls recognize the man. He is Philo, a distant friend of their father.

"Excuse me. May I come in?" He marches in without waiting for an answer, "I pass by and just want to drop in and see how Tobias is doing. Oh, he must be in bed already. You are discussing how to help the old man, aren't you? Although you are talking about the same treatment, it looks as if you all have your own opinion or interpretation of the same remedy!"

"Very true." Sibella nods, "I'm sure you have heard all we said just a moment ago. As a good friend of our daddy, which one do you think is right? Come. Give us your opinion. Cast your vote."

"Alas, why should I?" Philo says softly.

"Why shouldn't you?" Julia pushes further, "We are believers of democracy. Oh, I see. You think we have limited your choice. Is that right? Don't worry. What you choose doesn't really matter. It is the procedure of choosing being important."

"My dear, that's exactly the reason why I do not want to vote. By the procedure of choosing, I imply I support the treatment with a blood-soaked mantou..."

No comments: