Saturday, June 28, 2014

Question

(Conversation that I overheard between two women.)

“Christy, how is your boy doing? Charles is now K3 in the Countryside Kindergarten, right?”

“Hilda, your memory is fantastic,” the woman called Christy nodded, “To tell you the truth, I am slightly disappointed with the final examination of his kindergarten.”

“Why?” That Hilda asked.

“Let me take English as the example. Charles was asked to list ten words that begin with X.”

“My god! How’s that possible? I know only xylophone. Em… X-ray may be counted as another. Oh, I think I would fail the examination!”

“I think an ordinary university student of Cambridge or Harvard would fail. However, my worry is not about how difficult the examination is, but how relevant. Excuse my language, but, what the hell is the value of knowing ten words beginning with X? They are all exotic entities that never appear in our daily use.”

No comments: