Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Considerations

The three girls turn silent. In no time they think Philo is inexplicable. Shortly afterwards, they make up their mind and consider the middle age man an ally of their malicious brothers.

As an expert of mind-reading, Philo could see through all these. He decides to explain himself a bit more, “Ladies, I would love to support and agree with you, but I’m afraid I can’t – unless I betray my own belief and judgement.”

“What do you mean?” Ada asks.

“My dear ladies, let’s consider the problem at hand step by step. First, your father is ill. I suppose we all agree with this, don’t we? The first question is, therefore, why is he ill?”

“It’s got to be a lung problem – an occult infection.” Sibella says at once.

“Is it the problem? Excuse me, I may have to play with words and go one step further. Is lung problem or occult infection the major problem? In fact, is it a problem? Yes, old Tobias has weak lungs, but his lungs are weak since he was a child. Is it the cause of his current illness?”

No comments: