Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Treatment

“But the lung problem is so obvious!” Sibella says. She is subconsciously clenching her teeth.

“I must say it is not that obvious to me,” Philo is not moved, “Well, let’s take it aside and consider the problem one level higher. That is, if your father really has an occult lung infection, is your bloody mantou a good treatment? For example, taking a good rest in a sanatorium of Davos may be a good choice.”

“No! Our daddy needs an active treatment. Medicine or injection or whatever.” Ada raises her voice further, “Staying in a sanatorium is not a treatment. It means waiting for death.”

Philo wants to say sanatorium is actually the standard treatment for occult lung infection in most of the developed countries. However, he understands this fact is not going to be welcome by the women in front of him, and he decides to change to focus slightly, “May be, or may be not, but my point is, if I choose from one of your three remedies, I imply I agree your diagnosis for Tobias is correct, and mantou with blood is the treatment of choice. But, as always, I am slightly skeptical with each of these statements.”

PS. For the true story of Davos’ sanatorium, go read The Magic Mountain of Thomas Mann.

No comments: