Friday, June 13, 2014

Costume

During a casual discussion, Vivian asked if I had heard of the recent debate on Facebook about our students’ dress code.

“Who doesn’t?” I smiled, “From what I know, the story is simple. Some of our new generation students dressed up a bit too casually when they did the presentation of their summer projects. Others are more conservative and find it difficult to accept."

My wife nodded, "Quite true. What do you think? You are on the traditional side, aren't you? I must say I am getting more conservative as well. You know, I sometimes got mad when I see medical students - or even young doctors - going to the ward with funny T-shirts or sexy miniskirts under their white coat. Some of them even have their hair dyed in glittering colors!"

I chuckled, "My dear, you have a point there. However, I'm not sure I take the conservative side this time. There is an important difference between going to the ward and doing presentation of the summer project in front of your classmates. I suppose I have sufficient experience with postgraduate research students, both local and overseas, doing presentations when they are, literally, wearing pajamas! As long as it is an in-house event, I don't see any problem there."

No comments: